Saturday, January 13, 2007

STILLNESS

The weekend has arrived and I have read the papers. I normally don't read them during the week except possibly for the Financial Review on a Thursday. I will read them in coffee shops if I am out and about. I have been painting on paper the last few days. Starting a painting is exciting but there is also a moment of trepidation when making the first mark. In my mind's eye I know what I want to achieve, but can my hand and brush manifest it. Sometimes I am more happy than I had hoped and other times the work gets torn up and thrown away. When I tell freinds that I throw paintings away they are astonished. That said, if I am slightly annoyed with a work I will leave it for a few hours and even up to a day. I will place it in a spot where I see it as I walk down my stairs. So, in a sense I see it with new eyes. Sometimes I wonder why I was ever annoyed and other times it ends up in the bin. Reflection is a very useful activity...in all aspects of life really.

Divine Grace Gouache on paper 30 x 42 cm unframed

No comments: