Saturday, February 17, 2007

MORE SUBSTANCE

When I paint I have a concept of what I want to paint. However, prior to creating the detail I really enjoy treating the surface of the paper with colour which ultimately becomes the underpainting or background. With works on paper I normally let the paint do its own thing, running and pooling. Sometimes I blu-tac the paper to the wall and let the paint and gravity do their gradual work. I sometimes help the process by spraying more water onto the paper. In many cases I then let another layer of paint do its own thing over the first dried colour. Once this has dried I then paint the details which fulfill my conceptual desires. I really like the way multiple layers give a textual feeling to the images. I'm not always sure exactly how the image will end up, but I am happy if the image reflects my initial concepts. I'm not sure what guides my hand, but I am very sure that I am happy with the process.

Substance Gouache on paper 30 x 42 cm unframed

No comments: