Tuesday, January 25, 2011

VORTEX COMING SOON



This is an image of Galaxial Landscape Oil on linen 90 x 180 cm. It will be in my forthcoming exhibition VORTEX: Seeking Stillness At Its Core which opens Wed 23 Feb 6-8pm. The exhibition dates are Tues 22 Feb - Sunday 6 March and it will be open daily 10 am -6 pm.

Regular readers, I am sorry I have not posted much lately, but the floods here in Brisbane have been disastrous. I am one of the lucky ones because my house did not get wet, but I did have to evacuate through nearly knee high water in my street. I had spent the previous 2 days preparing the house, by sandbagging doors, and taking everything that was downstairs to my second floor. I filled my car and my daughter's car with fuel and parked them up high, plus a whole lot of other preparations that you just do not think of until you have to.  

I am still without internet at home, so I am using my daughter's laptop remotely. Bigpond does not know when internet will be restored as various pivotal junctions were totally covered by water for a few days and repairs are currently being done around the clock. 

It is very distressing when I meet people who had houses that were totally inundated with water. Some, did not expect to be flooded and thus were not prepared. It is very sad too to think of the devastation in the Lockyer Valley where the wall of water caused loss of life and homes and everything else. I have relations who live in the Valley and they are physically ok, but they have lost massive production on their farms.

As regular readers now, I write and paint about water. In the aftermath of the flood I am thinking again about the implications of commodifying water. I have written about this before and I will write more about it when I have better internet access.

Cheers,
Kathryn

1 comment:

Audubon Ron said...

The really sad part about flooding here in the states is flood is not covered by home owner's insurance. If you don't know you are in a flood plain and have to buy National Flood Insurance you can get completely wiped out. You have to cut the sheet rock out to dry the beams or it will get mold and mildew and just be unhealthy and unlivable. After Katrina the government had to add flood plains not previously thought there until the disaster happened. Glad you're good.