Tuesday, March 22, 2011

3D

Colour of Stillness Oil on linen 100 x 60 cm
 
At my exhibition 'Frisson', last year, a visitor commented to me that he thought my paintings would look great through 3D glasses. He went away and came back with a pair....and it was amazing! Many of my paintings immediately separated into layers and I felt like I could reach into them, past the surface. This year, for my recent exhibition 'VORTEX: Seeking Stillness At its Core', I had thought about getting some 3D glasses to see if my new paintings also separated beyond the 2D world. But, the Brisbane floods, and the resulting mayhem, just prior to my exhibition opening, meant I did not think about searching Brisbane for 3 D glasses. However...the same man turned up again. We had a long chat and he commented that he thought the new paintings would look great through 3D glasses too. This time he popped out to his car and came back with a pair of 3D glasses which he gave to me.

Many of my paintings in 'VORTEX: Seeking Stillness At its Core' revealed their 3D qualities. Other visitors, who tried the glasses, were really astonished and loved walking around the exhibition taking the glasses on and off. Their exclamations of wonder were very audible.

I have found a place where I can buy some 3D glasses, thanks to another visitor who emailed me with the details. I think I'll have some at my next exhibition 'Paradise' @ Purgatory Artspace in Melbourne. This exhibition will be from 8 Sept - 8 Oct...and I am really looking forward to it.
 

Remembering The reason Why Oil on linen 100 x 60 cm

The 3D quality in my work is unintentional and I will continue to paint without thinking about what a painting might look like through 3 D glasses. However, with contemporary interest in 3D movies, video games and tvs I am really quite tickled about the multi dimensionality of my work. And...It certainly fits in with my thoughts on perspective and distance, particularly the need to be able to see multi perspectives simultaneously. I believe this is an important ability to stimulate in an increasingly globalised world in which we live locally. It is also important as cosmology propels us into multiversal potentialities at the same time as we recognise that our inner psyches are endless. The exploration of the vast and nano both reveal the infinitude of distance.

So...if you have a pair of 3D glasses, go get them and put them on. The paintings I have uploaded look great with them on! The images are only 72 dpi, but you will still get an idea of how they separate into layers. I have chosen 4 paintings, but there are a number of others that take on a multidimensional appearance. Hovering At The Centre is particularly 3D! Just click on the image and it will upload onto another page for easier viewing.

 
                                      
                        
Hovering At The Centre Oil on linen 30 x 30 cm
 

'She was not made out of his head to surpass him, nor from his feet to be trampled on, but from his side to be equal to him, and near his heart to be dear to him." [Jamieson-Fausset Brown Bible Commentary] Oil on linen 80  x 120 cm
http://kathrynbrimblecombeart.blogspot.com/2009/09/adam-and-eveleft-and-right-brain.html



Cheers,
Kathryn
http://www.kathrynbrimblecombe-fox.com/

1 comment:

Kay said...

I just happen to have some 3d glasses around here somewhere! But think I will wait until my headache goes away as 3 d movies etc. give me a headache after a while! That is a fun post!