Thursday, June 01, 2017

COSMIC FIRE - Online Exhibition


 HOT Gouache on paper  56 x 76 cm 2017 


COSMIC FIRE is an online exhibition of a selection of my paintings that refer, either directly or indirectly, to fire. Not any old kind of fire though, and not necessarily real fires. I am thinking about cosmic fire, the kind that precipitates or represents the birth or death of solar systems, the kind that erupts when landscapes change, when volcanoes spill forth a planet's buried entrails. Or, fire as a symbolic warning that human activities can have catastrophic outcomes.

Do we want to stir the dark chasms?

I have selected a few recent works on paper and placed some of them with older paintings. I've done this to demonstrate how some themes continue in an artist's practice, albeit often not in direct ways.

INFLUENCES
Recent paintings have been influenced by my research into militarised technology. Older work that was influenced by my interest in cosmology resonate with my recent cosmic landscapes - often harbouring loitering airborne weaponised drones The tree-of-life is a common element in many of the paintings. It streams hope. Ultimately, my interest in cosmology has extended an interest in another theme, that of perspective, both literal and metaphoric. My influences are woven through my paintings and over time a fabric of images has emerged.


PRICES
If you are interested in buying please contact me through the "Contact Form" upper right of this post.

And, if you are interested in my dronescapes please visit DRONESCAPES


DARK CHASMS


Stirring the Dark Chasm Gouache on paper 56 x 76 cm 2017


Perpetual Beginning Oil on linen 80 x 120 cm 2011


Firmament Gouache on paper 30 x 42 cm [51 x 62 cm framed] 2011


ANTHROPOCENE


 Anthropocene Gouache and watercolour on paper 56 x 76 cm 2017. 


 Cosmic Testimony Gouache and watercolour on paper 56 x 76 cm 2017


Planet $ Oil on linen 30 x 30 cm 2011


BIRTH AND DEATH OF WORLDS


 Star Blood Gouache on paper 56 x 76 cm 2017


Greener Pastures Oil on linen 50 x 50 cm 2014


Birth of Landscape oil on linen 138 x 168 cm 2014

FIRE AND FLOOD 


                            Fire and Flood: Extremus Gouache on paper 56 x 76 cm 2017 NFS


Storm Oil on linen 85 x 150 cm 2012


SECRETS

I've 'curated' Secrets as the last painting because, whilst not directly referencing fire, it contains some hopeful ideas - but it depends on how you read it.


Secrets Gouache and watercolour on paper 56 x 76 cm 2017


Cheers,
Kathryn

No comments: